Dublin Literary Award 2014
Ten novels have been shortlisted for the 2014 International IMPAC DUBLIN Literary Award, managed by Dublin City Libraries.
The list includes five novels in translation from Argentina, Colombia, France, Norway, and The Netherlands and novels from Australia, Ireland, Malaysia, the UK and the USA.
The shortlisted titles, announced by The Deputy Lord Mayor of Dublin Councillor Henry Upton, in Dublin are:
1. The Detour by Gerbrand Bakker, (Dutch) translated by David Colmer. Published by Harvill Secker.
2. Questions of Travel by Michelle De Kretser (Sri Lankan / Australian) Published by Allen & Unwin.
3. Absolution by Patrick Flanery (American) (First novel) Published by Atlantic Books.
4. A Death in the Family by Karl Ove Knausgaard (Norwegian) Translated by Don Bartlett. Published by Harvill Secker.
5. Three Strong Women by Marie NDiaye (French) Translated by John Fletcher. Published by MacLehose / Quercus and by Alfred A. Knopf.
6. Traveller of the Century by Andrés Neuman (Argentinian) Translated from the original Spanish by Nick Caistor and Lorenza Garcia. Published by Pushkin Press and by Farrar, Straus & Giroux.
7. The Light of Amsterdam by David Park (Northern Irish) Published by Bloomsbury.
8. The Spinning Heart by Donal Ryan (Irish) (First novel) Published by Doubleday Ireland / Lilliput Press.
9. The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng (Malaysian) Published by Myrmidon.
10. The Sound of Things Falling by Juan Gabriel Vásquez (Colombian) Translated from the original Spanish by Anne McLean. Published by Bloomsbury.